Examinations Completed by the SDFL:
- Blood Stain Pattern Interpretation
- Trace Evidence - Fibers, Hair, Ignitable Liquids
- Processing Evidence for Presence of Latent Fingerprints
- Conducting Fingerprint Examinations and Comparisons for Identification
- AFIS/IAFIS Searches for Fingerprint Identifications
- Firearm and Toolmark Examinations
- Muzzle to Target Distance Determinations/Trajectory Determinations
- Physical Fracture Matching
- Forensic Serology/DNA
- Shoeprint and Tire Impression Examinations/Comparisons for Identification
- Forensic Computer Analysis - Digital Evidence (DE)
The SD State Forensic Lab offers SD Law Enforcement crime scene assistance in areas of expertise listed above, searches, photography, and providing other on-scene scientific and/or technical services as necessary.
NOTE: All examinations listed above may not be provided by the SDFL, but can be completed in partnership with other laboratories.